2000 GU 3lt turbo Auto

lancegum

Hi All I have read and reread lots about this model having grief. What I am looking at is 2000  gu2 with engine rebuild 40k ago. I have seen the various mods that keep them going. This truck is in fantastic condition drives and handles like a beaut 220 k on clock what else do I need to be wary of Thanx Lance.

I'm sorry but that it had a rebuilt 40K ago means nothing. The facts are that you are buying a vehicle which has very sus motor and no amount mods will keep it going. All those mods do is just delaying the inevitable although they also make it a bit more driveable.

Have all those mods being carried out when the engine was rebuilt and before it was fired up again? If not its too late already, the rot sets in as soon as that engine is started in standard form.

These engines simply expire without warnings and suddenly. Mods or not! Indeed prior their expiry they seem to run almost too well.

This is the price you are paying for Nissan having absolute contempt for its customers and being one of crooks of automotive industry.

ZD30 is simply one of the worst engines ever designed when it comes to longevity, The low emissions friendly design predetermines its ability to not last for very long.

This worked well for Nissan as the amount of money they rake from engine replacements is simply to good to redesign the unit.

Nissan has basically put the onus on you the owner.

The facts that it has atrocious piston design which actually has the failure written all over it speaks for itself. The fact that it uses one of the worst diesel fuel injection systems Bosch has ever come out with combines these two together and the the engine is the predictable lemon.

Unless you are getting the car very cheap and money saved gives you enough to be in front should the inevitable occur and it will happen, consider alternatives....

The engine is very expensive exercise especially when you are not handy with spanners or have good mate who is.

There are chitloads of other issues but you've probably read about them already.

You've been warned!

Cheers

Edited by Rumcajs

Nissan has never fixed those motors (ZD30). They fail the same be it 2000, 2003 or 2006 model.

Common rail version of it is sligthly more reliable in the pistons department but keeps failing with the oil pumps or turbos and exhaust manifolds. Another problem with them (CrD) they've got terrible fuel consumption it is very random so if you are unlucky it will drink like a petrol V8.

Not good for towing.

Cheers

Edited by Rumcajs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...