Anderson Plug Install - Includes Pictures

admin

Today I installed an Anderson plug to the back of my patrol. It charges the batteries in my camper trailer while im travelling. I used 6B&S wire with convoluted tubing to protect it the entire length of the vechile.

I protected the Anderson plug with an ABR sidewinder cover with a spring loaded lid and secured the thing to my Kaymar rear bar with 4mm 304 Stainless bolts, washers and locknuts and some locktight to ensure it never comes off.

At the engine end I will be using either an inline fuse (like the one pictured) or one of those self reseting breakers - Im yet to make a decision on that thou. Ive also included a picture of the 6B&S wire terminated to a lug and neatly covered in heat shrink.

For those that are contemplating adding an Anderson plug - 6B&S wire is the correct size - Designed to be crimped into the Anderson plug lugs. If you use the smaller 8B&S cable the crimp WILL NOT HOLD no matter how much you try. If you use 8B&S you should solder it into the anderson lugs using a big arse soldering iron.

Its not practicle to solder 6B&S - Its to big, and the cable goes stiff for inches into the insulation due to the copper sucking solder back up the inside of the insulation.

post-1-0-33623800-1338618625_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-17926500-1338618645_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-92112900-1338618664_thumb.jpg

post-1-0-65417200-1338618748_thumb.jpg

I installed an Anderson plug next to my trailer plug and used the ABR rubber cap, as at the time, he wasn't selling the spring loaded ones. I also used the self resetting breaker at the battery, rather than a fuse. Anyone contemplating getting Anderson plugs, you can now find them on ebay in bunches and the more you get, the cheaper they are. I've used more than I ever thought I would, re-wiring my compresor, solar panel and whatever else, getting a dozen for about $2 each is a bargain now.

As for soldering, if you have an Aldi gas soldering iron, or one that allows you to remove the tip, then the end bit makes for an excellent tool for heating the Anderson plug terminals, inserting solder until it nearly fills and then just dipping in the wire. This way the solder does not run up the wire anywhere near as much because you are only heating the terminal.

ABR is excellent when it comes to pricing on wire, but a tad expensive regarding the Anderson plugs. He also changed the tension on the plugs a while back which made then extremely difficult to separate and he received a number of complaints, including from me. Apparently he did this because the standard tension was allowing the plugs to separate on rough roads, but he admits the tension was set too high, so probably the newer ones should be OK.

Cheers

Ray

I got a dozen of the stronger tensioned anderson plugs from derik, They are better IMO, if you have the T handle on the loose ends of your plugs, Its just the raised tip where it locks in , you can file it down abit,or after a few plug ins they get eaysier also I smother all the connections with di-lectric grease and that helps. :)