New Patrol tackles "Big Red"

Rumcajs

New Patrol tackles Big Red

What a joke

.....The new Patrol seen at Big Red had been trucked from Nissan Australia’s headquarters in Melbourne to Birdsville for a party to celebrate the completion of a re-enactment of the first crossing of the Simpson by a motor vehicle in 1962....

These Nissan people are utter morons, here they had great opportunity to showcase what that unit can do and instead they take it there on the back of the truck as if implying this is how you'll end up if taking this precious barge to anything harsher than Toorak supermarket carpark. Oh well another "Toorak tractor" on sale in Oz.

Cheers

Edited by Rumcajs

They must be kidding themselves if they think people are going to choose a new GU when the Y62 is sitting next to it on the showroom floor. People will have the shits with the shitty decision they are being asked to make and will goto toyota - Toyota will give them a Prado with all the luxery, contant 4wd AND diesel.

If I had to choose between a NEW Diesel Prado, A Petrol Y62 or a Diesel GU the prado would be the pick.

That decision would change thou, if the Y62 had a decent diesel engine.

TBH, I dislike this direction 4WD/SUVs manufacturers/markets are taking. I don't mind utilitarian vehicles but none which are left on the market have decent engines and or are leftovers from 60-70s like Land Rover Defender or Landcrab 7x series. Y61 series perhaps is good to be left on continuing alongside the Y62 but Nissan gotta update it with a decent Diesel engine (this is where Nissan completely F-ed up all those years ago, I'm absolutely astounded at the fact that such manufacturer is simply so impotent to develop a decent Diesel.)

There is no way I'm buying a new car with same old ZD30 tech engine. I understand that World wide there is a big push to kill off Diesels in passenger cars and trucks by encumbering them with so much emission tech addons that it simply becomes too expensive and unviable to operate such vehicles.

Cheers

• 9 months later...

From a real practical point - many country folk simply do not have access to petrol. We only have diesel and Opal fuel (ok for a E series Falcon / Commie but not for a new Patrol). Our nearest "petrol" station is 350km away. Nissan has just lost the "bush" market.

I think most of us now realize that Y62 is not targeting the 4WD audience but cashed up SUV soccer mums and city professionals with cash to spare who wanna drive luxo barges as a daily with occasional country lane trip for a picnic.

Y62 main markets are US and Middle East where exactly same tributes apply, sitting on a freeway in a luxo barge with plenty of power on tap and a service station every 50 miles and of course a status symbol.

Nissan is now committed in to making only global cars in other words the market where they sell most dictates what other will get. Its their rationale through ever diminishing profits.

Y62 has some impressive tech capabilities out of the box but Diesel engine is a liability these days so Mr Nissan avoids that issue. With 4WD markets shrinking in most places/markets it isn't surprising what is happening with Nissan.

Cheers

The price of the Y62 and no diesel has really put it in a bad place in Australia. At the price it sits at it is competing in the large luxury market. People looking for a large luxury SUV are more likely to go for a brand name, and Nissan is not that name! People willing to spend over $100k on an SUV will go for a Range Rover, Toureg, Cayenne etc. Not a Nissan, and without a diesel option they lose the rural market aswell.

Fact is though, the Y62 Petrol V8 is an awesome motor, but many will never experience it.

Sent with a leaf using a pointy stick.