Y62 the most expensive vehicle to operate in RACQ 2014 survey.

Rumcajs

• 9 months later...

Y62 , nice vehicle , purchased new 2013 , if anything goes wrong don't expect Nissan to come to the party on warranty issues , you just get ignored , probably waiting for the warranty to expire . My 2013 Nissan Patrol Ti-L  :  parking sensors dont work , transmission problem : fails to drop down , GPS : entire suburbs just do not exist , leave your parkers on : battery flat within 30 mins : doesn't  switch off automatically when you lock the car . Other than those issues its a very nice car .  Sadly all these issues have been raised with the Nissan Dealer , honestly they couldn't care less if they tried . 

Well, that just continues the trend most Jap automakers pursue. "What warranty? Our vehicles don't fail/break. "

Exception it seems is Mitsu as they learned the hard way in the past...

Speaking of Y62, I'm still not convinced of the right to wear Patrol badge.

Ni$$an has pulled a con as the actual car is Infinity Q56 consumer Yank barge SUV. Aand according to latest goss when Infinity brand is finally launched in Australia its gona be Q80 looking suspiciously like Y62 with the cosmetic changes and a price to match.

Perhaps you should pursue Ni$$an Australia through consumer affairs department. If you "yell" loud enough they will come to party.

Nice car or not, having battery go flat because lights fail to turn off is pathetic.

Have you used it off road on real 4WD track? I'm curious how it perfomed with IRS/IFS combo.

Regards

Only been off road a few times , I drove to tassie ( used the ferry ) a couple of times , went exploring on the west coast of tas , new nasty hill tracks , it did preform extremely well .  Accept I'm no expert on 4WD s , but i was impressed , hill climbing was effortless , active descent control ( I think that is what you call it ) was fantastic .  Couple of deep river crossings , half way across , I thought Ive got no idea what im doing , one was approx 700mm deep , seemed way deeper at the time , but no problem . Off road the suspension has a lot of travel , many times I thought i would be stuck , but again no problem .  I have had this vehicle 18 mths , now done 74,000 klm , use it for a work vehicle ( soil testing ) , Im all over SE Qld , mostly on sealed roads but some paddock tracks , dirt roads ect , i do carry a fair of gear in the rear , the vehicle does suit me well . Having said that the lack of support from Nissan from he day I parted with a lot of money has been rather surprising and really a bit sad , Ive had issues with the sat nav like Eagle Heights , Mount Tamborine dont exist !!  ,  sensors that dont work , flat batteries as I mentioned . When i first bought the vehicle , Nissan had no towbar available ,but still took my money for it on the sale.  I was not impressed , then I got messed around for weeks , wasnt a good start to customer service .  I have another issue , it only runs on 98 octane , thats fine , but it still pings on accel up a hill at slow speed , ( nissan ignore this of course ) .  Might be the fuel quality , In Dubai , thousands of these patrols there that I was  , all running on higher octane fuel .   The Y62 in Dubai has recently had an update : new front end and new taillights , I went to Nissan in Dubai ( my god they were so helpful and so totally professional ) , offered me the new front end and rear lights for $ 3300 AUD  ( ship it back myself ) , I contacted the Nissan dealer is sthport to see if they would fit the new panel when I got back ..... NO NO NO ..... Honestly I like this vehicle a lot , but the lack of  service and lack of  care from Nissan is really not professional and frustrating .  Ask me about towing my drilling rig sometime ..... I will give the fuel consumption figures ....lol 

Interesting comments. I have just read about Nissan AU preparing to significantly dropping prices accross Y62 range in anticipation of introducing Infinity Q80 brand, Not good for resale values of used Y62 I suppose. It seems like Nissan has completely given up on that model.

Yeah I'd like to know the fuel figures especially off road, I can only imagine the fuel consumption when towing drilling rig, LOL ....

Anyway, feel free to start a few threads about ownership and travels with Y62, what mods you have, etc. Include some pics as well.

Regards.

Edited by Rumcajs

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes . I contacted Ontrack 4x4 , about a week ago .   Said they have fitted  six lift kits already , the guy ( forgot his name ) was pretty helpful .  They have developed the 50mm lift kit : front and rear based on the assumption that a bull bar is fitted ( adding 70 -80  Kgs to the front end ) . Mine has no bullbar .  They have not lifted a Ti-L without that extra front weight , suggested it may sit up front more ... I have no interest in fitting massive bar to the front .  I did look into getting a stainless steel USA style push bar custom made , this I had my draftsman draw up ( what i wanted ) .So that would fit out front of the original front end   Then got told it would be illegal to have fitted , needs to be engineered and certification issued ....  mmmm that sounds like a lot of $$$ for a one off design ..   That would be true though wouldnt otherwise you would home made crap everywhere .    So Im not sure what to do now . The lift kit was very reasonably priced at $ 1300 delivered to the Gold Coast .    Any feed back will be appreciated . 

On another note , had mine serviced a few days ago , Nissan finally fixed the rear parking sensors , sadly I went to the tip today , backed into a steel post , so maybe sensors not so fixed after all . Yes I have a reverse camera I know , I wasnt looking at it ... Maybe I can get a bull bar made for the rear . Have a laugh ...  dont mind ... 

I can commiserate not laugh mate, However having rear bar can have its advantages like moving the spare wheel to it from underneath to gain better ground clearance.

The problem with SRS airbag equipped vehicles is that any bars in front of crumple zones can affect the deployment of the air bags. To get it engineered one needs to have that theory tested either in simulation software or actually slamming the vehicle with such bar to a crush barrier. "One off" designs are notoriously difficult but not impossible. If you can find an engineer willing to put his name to it all is needed is certification that it doesn't interfere with the deployment of the SRS airbags that's all.

The spring rate for bull bar vehicles doesn't necessarily lift the end higher it just stiffens up the sag and rebound rate if it is correctly dimensioned.

TBH, the Y62 is the one big lie Nissan has managed to spread in Australia. It is not  Patrol, just re-badged and cosmetically changed Infinity Q56 in production since 2004 and on sale in America and Middle East for years.

It is a terrible alternative/successor to off road vehicle worth carrying Patrol badge, it has too low load carrying capacity (hence no 8 seater for Ti) otherwise it breaks its GVM as well. It is luxury "SUV" (that it is a misnomer) designed to compete against BMW M5 or Mercs M class not to climb Vic high country goat tracks or cross Simpson desert. Just because it has low range it doesn't qualify as serious off roader for long trips to wilderness/outback. It would do it but who is brave enough to take so much luxury there.....

It all depends what you want to do with it but you could get ARB Sahara bar for it (not bad looking) it would substitute that horrible looking bumper and also you could get that lift to go with and that means vehicle can be more usable for off road trips.

Rear bar looks good too.

1422392_581643955241770_1956394681_n.jpg

big_Bamper.jpg

Edited by Rumcajs

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate your comments . Front ARB bar does look good true , will look into those .  I wont get into the debate about the Y62 being suitable for serious off road stuff ( its probably not ) , what I know about off road driving you could write on the side of a match box .   Will load up a few pic of my vehicle .   Thanks again .  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Stumbled on this while looking for something else and had a read. Made me a bit angry to see people who have not got one nor driven one bagging them out. I have had every variation of Patrol from GQ - Y62 both petrol and diesel, utes and wagons at one point or another and the y62 is more capable then all of em put together in stock form vs 2" lift and bigger tyres. 

No one is bagging Y62, and it would be a disaster if a vehicle with so much latest technology would not outperform the models it is meant to supersede.

Of course it outperforms GU which itself based on GQ technology so combined age is 40 years +. Heck, Toyo's LC FJ Cruiser is absolute weapon off road in stock form and beats anything Toyo ever put out or out of its showroom made to the street near you yet look at the sales, it was a flop! Its not just about technology it is also about the looks, flair and buyers appeal.

I've seen stock Pajero beating up lifted Y61.....oh the irony but disconnect all the electronic gizmos helping these vehicles and Y61 reigns supreme.....in the off road environment only! Because that's what Y61 is, it is vehicle build for off roading, it sucks at everything else!

What I would personally bag is the visual aspect of the vehicle (Y62), it is just plain ugley,  the Yank SUV barge (Infiniti QX series). I was never a fan of American design styling for cars, to put it mildly they're all hideous except perhaps for Mustang and Corvette or latest F150 Raptor!

Give me the technology of Y62 with body style of Y61 and I'll buy two of them! I absolutely hate what Y62 stands for in interior and exterior design when it comes to offroader especially when I know the origins of it, not to mention how Nissan tried to pull a wool over the buyers eyes and flog them brand new "Nissan Patrol" which it isn't!

It is the American SUV re-badged full stop! We know why it has ended this way, Nissan is penny pinching in the ever diminishing returns of car manufacturing business. You can see its current line up of vehicles/SUVs, all based on American or Euro models now sold in Australia to buyer like it or not.

There is indeed this huge elephant in the room so no matter how much you try to spin it, Y62 will never replace what Y61 and Y60 stood for. It is not Nissan Patrol! Does it have off road credentials? Yep, it does! Does it perform? Yep it, does! Does it have a buyer of rugged offroader appeal? Nope!

IMHO, If I wanted something like Y62 is to serve me as everyday car and occasional trip to wilderness I'll buy 2 cars then, luxury V8 powered limo with all the bells and whistles for driving on the road daily in the luxury and buy whatever other 4WD is available, probably dual cab ute which can haul the stuff I need in the wilderness, canvas seats and rubber mats so I don't have spend time detailing the thing for Monday's drive to work!

Sure, Y62 is nice to drive with plenty of power on tap to overtake on the freeways people hauler but that's where it ends for me, ripping up the trail with the V8 and constantly watching fuel gauge is not my thing.

It is all about POV, if you like the thing and it does what you want from it then enjoy it, just don't get upset that not everyone shares your enthusiasm for it.

Somewhere along the lines the car makers have lost the idea for modern offroader completely, now it is either luxo barges with 4WD ability thrown in or workmen truck utes with the same 4WD ability. It will be interesting what will MB do with the planned release of their G-Wagen in less luxo-barge style and more of work/play style version but something tells me it still won't be for the average person.

Why is it so hard to have no nonsense modern drive train technology equipped off road capable vehicles minus the luxo barge crap. e.g. look at Toyo LC200 vs LC76 lunacy. Personally I absolutely hate the direction the car industry is taking, honestly bring on the electric cars ala Tesla instead of these underpowered for emission reasons loaded with cheap electronics overpriced POS we are now getting.

Regards

Edited by Rumcajs

• 3 weeks later...

Still driving the Y62 Ti-L , 118,000 klms now .  Off road is superb , on road has always been superb . Towing : fuel consumption is high .  Im towing a drill rig on a 12 X 6 tandem trailer : so trailer and rig : 1.9 tonne .  Fuel consumption runs at approx. 21- 23 litres per 100 klms ( that's highway 100klm - 110 klm / h ) .  Normal highway use  not towing : 14 L/ 100 klms :  seems to be always the same .   I use the Y62 as my work car ... apart form parking sensors that are useless : its a pretty nice work car : on road / off road .  Im soil testing so offroad in paddocks , tracks , hills, scrub track and no track rough terrain :  whatever basically every day : I cant fault its 4WD ability . If you don't like the look of a car ... don't buy one .. or don't look it at ... lol