Hi beam issue

skid

I was replacing a switch on the dash of my GU as no mater what position it was in my spotties where on when high beam was selected, there was another switch next to it which looked like it had something to do with lighting as iut had a picture of a head lamp on it, looking at the plugs that were plugged into it, was a very average job done be previous owners.
My problem now is low beam works, if I switch to high beam only the left hand head light lights up, but if I very slowly pull the lever towards the flash head lights position, both the hed lights hig beam work and my spotties work, I've tested all the relays and fuses that are obvious but for the life of me cant figure it out, any suggestions greatly appreicated

On 15/12/2015 at 1:33 PM, skid said:

I was replacing a switch on the dash of my GU as no mater what position it was in my spotties where on when high beam was selected, there was another switch next to it which looked like it had something to do with lighting as iut had a picture of a head lamp on it, looking at the plugs that were plugged into it, was a very average job done be previous owners.
My problem now is low beam works, if I switch to high beam only the left hand head light lights up, but if I very slowly pull the lever towards the flash head lights position, both the hed lights hig beam work and my spotties work, I've tested all the relays and fuses that are obvious but for the life of me cant figure it out, any suggestions greatly appreicated

GU doesn't use relays for low or high beams, the stalk switch activates them directly and gets fed by two 15 A fuses. I have no idea how your spot lamps are wired up but if its the usual DIY job then the power is taken straight from the high beam circuit which could mean too much load so only one head lamp lights up  that is why if you do it slowly it works I'm guessing here.

Do the lights work correctly if you disconnect that switch with head lamp symbol on it (is it Nissan or aftermarket) or disable spotties?

Normally spot lamps would be controlled via separate relay which then supplies power via separate fuse and is controlled from high beam signal with in series connected spot lamp switch. So no high beams no spotties, high beams on but spot lamps switch off (relay not activated) no spot lamps illuminated, you get the idea. It could be controlled another way but lets not complicate the issue.

Regards

Here is an example what it should be wired like:

Patrol_spot_lamps_wiring_example.thumb.j

Edited by Rumcajs