2000 Gu Patrol Auto Hubs

skid

2000 Gu Patrol Auto Hubs, My tyre place recommended I nip up my wheel bearings as they were a little loose, all that went well but when I put the hubs back in it what I though was the reverse order I now have dramas, The hubs will work in the lock position and 4wd engaged, but if I have them in the auto selection when I engage 4wd I get a clunking sound, i tried reading my manuals I have here but they aren't much help. any advise would be appreciated

Auto hubs are nothing but trouble..... having said that I recommend you to convert them to manual only which is a process taking only about 10 mins per side. All you need is large screw drive to pry out the auto locking clutch assembly out of the housing and refit the hubs. .

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/1423290-post98.html

PA211110_zps89fac5a0.jpg

The hub on the left with the auto locking clutch removed, the hub on the right complete.....

P1000882Small.jpg

As far as current troubles, did you manually lock the hubs before removing the assembly? Also by any chance you didn't regreased them as well and being generous with the grease too? Too much grease will cause them to slip or click under load.

Regards

Edited by Rumcajs

8 hours ago, Rumcajs said:

Auto hubs are nothing but trouble..... having said that I recommend you to convert them to manual only which is a process taking only about 10 mins per side. All you need is large screw drive to pry out the auto locking clutch assembly out of the housing and refit the hubs. .

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/1423290-post98.html

PA211110_zps89fac5a0.jpg

The hub on the left with the auto locking clutch removed, the hub on the right complete.....

P1000882Small.jpg

As far as current troubles, did you manually lock the hubs before removing the assembly? Also by any chance you didn't regreased them as well and being generous with the grease too? Too much grease will cause them to slip or click under load.

Regards

I don't need to pry out the part in your pictures as when I took the hubs off they came out separately. No I didn't lock the hubs first, I only found that out after removing them doing the wheel bearings and putting hubs back on and the problem started.... I didn't grease them up as they were already full of grease, So do I simply leave that whole assembly out, or do I pull the guts out of it and put piece pictured in your post back in? Also the eg ring thing was sticking out about 3 mm and with a gentle tap of the hammer it now sits flush, should I also remove the egg ring and re seat it back to where it was? Replacing the brake pads, and doing the wheel bearing up was going so well until I screwed up, any further advice would be appreciated....

15 minutes ago, Rumcajs said:

Just remove the assembly pictured in the first pic (it does contains extra pieces) and refit what is the actual manual locking mechanism. 

Can you describe or show me " refit what is the actual manual locking mechanism. " is please...

Look at picture with red background..... The top item on the left side is the hub part with manual mechanism inside,  the bit underneath is left out of it(auto clutch). If you follow a link I posted to p4x4 thread post which includes entire job in pictorrial sequence. 

Regards

7 hours ago, Rumcajs said:

Look at picture with red background..... The top item on the left side is the hub part with manual mechanism inside,  the bit underneath is left out of it(auto clutch). If you follow a link I posted to p4x4 thread post which includes entire job in pictorrial sequence. 

Regards

On one of the forums someone says if you leave that nit out you neef to put in some form of spacer for support, can you confirm, if its a case of leaving that whole assemble out, and I have piece of mind that I wont break the hub 4wding, I'kk drop them out during my lunch break...

Well mine have been gutted for over 2 years, yet to experience the failure so I can go out and buy full manual hubs......

As far as spacing anything is concerned I wouldn't think so as the auto mechanism is essential  loose fit in there.

Regards

Edited by Rumcajs