CRD injectors

heyhey

CRD injectors are designed to last a very long time, far longer than conventional injectors, so you'd want to be absolutely certain that they did need changing before spending any money. They also need to be individually calibrated to the ECU, so you can't just change them yourself and have them working correctly.

Cheers

Ray

I am also curious to know this. How do you tell they need changing?

When it starts running really inefficient and even after fixing everything else the problem isn't fixed

CRD injectors are designed to last a very long time, far longer than conventional injectors, so you'd want to be absolutely certain that they did need changing before spending any money. They also need to be individually calibrated to the ECU, so you can't just change them yourself and have them working correctly.

Cheers

Ray

From my readings the 2007s seem to be the really inefficient fuel guzzelers, I haven't ran a tank of diesel through yet, haven't given it a service and haven't toyed with an exhaust or power module yet, but thought I would just ask the question.

Also, I noticed my Speedo is reading under the speed, so this will make the odometer quite far out considering my Wagon reads (from memory) about 4% less distance travelled that actual.

Cheers,

Edited by heyhey

Nothing is yet known or proven, only done 200km with it. It has Airlockers (maybe someone changed the ratios) and that is it. 265/75R16 tyres, nothing else. Once I finish my three Uni assignements this week, I may have some time to strip the thing and get to know it a bit better.

From the speedo reading, it does sound like the ratios have changed, or they have changed the speedo gear in the transmission. You may want to check that the ratios back and front are the same. Normally, with factory tyres, the speedo should read about 10% more than what you are actually doing at 100kmh. The odo will read less than what you are actually travelling under the same circumstances, around 5%.

Cheers

Ray

I had the GPS going on the Hume from Wallan to Seymour the other day, Speedo was showing 110km/h and then GPS, 117km/h. Before I get too carried away, best to pull it apart and know what I have got myself into ;)

You change the crd inj they just run on default. Each injector has a cd with a trim file. We upload the trim to each injector by file number.

CRD inj fail for several reason mainly poor fuel. If change the injector you have to dump the coolant and engine oil as they lubed by engine oil and cooled by coolant. That's why some CRD's are hard to start as they boil the fuel. You don't have to dump it but you nned to make sure no oil or coolant goes into cyl. You need to by a snap on tool it looks like a small jimy bar. These are for pulling out the injectors.

Its best to let nissan do as they can shut down each inj and run up the engine on one cylinder. All CRDs are built to limp home on one cylinder if need be.

Interesting, I have replaced CRD injectors in Mercs and Toyotas before. Mercs are by far the worst injectors of anything I have ever done on any vehicle. You almost have to sacrifice the head and valve cover to do an injector change.

No harm in playing ;)

Wow I just found the lite verson of this site so now on my phone as I type I can see words so excuse the mistakes above and letters missing.

I know what you mean about getting them out and damage to head. On a C7 I did I had to use a full length jimy bar as one hadn't been pre lube and it was in so tight.

What I whanted to add was that if you fit the inj and then record the serial number to cylinder nissan will do the trim and the cyl bank test. If you have the pre heat they can also ajust the rpm from 1250 to what ever input RPM you need for the winch. With crd people also need to know that eng oil is also a lube for inj internals and so I feel that if the EGR is not blocked people should consider a 5K oil change. If see on some new 2012 CRD on 12 cyl they now have oil coolers just for injectors. Not that the patrol would need it but in last 6 years the crd engine has taken on leaps of fine ajustments.

The best way to check if a crd has a bad injector is unplug one by one and see if it dips and ecu pumps more fuel to remain 3. The final check is unplug all leaving only one cyl running. This should be done for all 4 cyl in any order. A good well running crd engine should not smoke and maintain constant level rpm. With or with out the trim file.

The best way to check if a crd has a bad injector is unplug one by one and see if it dips and ecu pumps more fuel to remain 3. The final check is unplug all leaving only one cyl running. This should be done for all 4 cyl in any order. A good well running crd engine should not smoke and maintain constant level rpm. With or with out the trim file.

If you disconnect injectors one by one, you need to have a damn accurate way of measuring or comparing rev drops per inject as its not like an injector for CRDs stop, they run inefficiently. A 5% drop in pressure from the nozel of a CRD injector is a pretty damn significant drop. The only way I see them being properly tested is to pull them out and bench test, by the time you do this, you may as well do an exchange and swap a new/reco set in. CRD is a very presice technology, when it starts to wear it has significant performance drops.

So back to the original post, did the first of the CRDs have different injectors and commonrails?

True that would be along way if you don't have the obc to test each inj. You don't bench test inj anymore they tested in the engine on crds.

Not sure if they have upgraded the inj on patrol engine I can only see ecu upgrades .

Is it possible that the poor fuel economy of some CRDs is due to the injectors not being set properly to the ECU?

What sort of diagnostics is required to check this - presume only Nissan service centres have it?

I rang Nissan today, spoke to the Service Lady, I asked to speak to the service department foreman, she said "no, I can answer your question". I said "fine, can the software on the ECU of the CRD Patrols be upgraded", she said "I'll check, [wait], there was no recall for the ECUs on the Patrols." I said, "Geez, you don't get it, you've now lost my custom, cya later". Stupid lady thinking she understands shit.

can the software on the ECU of the CRD Patrols be upgraded".

I've had the ECU flashed with updated firmware (2010 CRD TI) when Nissan thought that might stop the cruise hunting (didn't). Takes about 2 hours. No cost as mine's under warranty so don't know how much they charge.

Adrian

• 9 years later...

Hi all

I recently pulled the head off my 2007 Zd30 crd and have since rebuilt it. 

New exhaust manifold, new glow plugs + timer, new hoses, skimmed head, etc etc

I put her all back together and kicked her over yesterday and she finally booted but blew a tonne of continual black smoke and slips. Looks like one of the Injectors may have failed. 

She's been sitting outside in desert climate (Karratha) for the good part of 3 Months and the last month in a hot shed. Do you think it's possible that condensation could have built up in the fuel tank or rail, mixed in with other particles and ultimately contributed to a failed injector? 

Would you replace the Injectors? 

She's ticked over 300k and cops a thrashing off road plus got me across Australia.

Im interested in your opinions on what you would do in my position. 

Thanks in advance. 

Just wondering, have you marked the injectors and refitted in original order? CrD injectors use trim codes which are entered in in the ECM work parameters so if you mixed them up.....Anyway after all that work carried out be injectors replacement after 300k should be also considered.

Regard