A brilliant idea for locks

Ray!

I have an Abloy padlock that is now at least 40 years old and still works like new, not that I use it, as I keep it more for historical reasons than anything else:

abloy.jpg

The thing I like about the BOLT Lock idea is that it uses your car key. I only carry two keys with me, the key for the Patrol and the other for the house (every lock is keyed alike). It would be great if I could have a bunch of padlocks and the like work just off the car key, or even better, if I could have every other lock work off the house key. I guess what you were alluding to was that one could get every lock converted to an Abloy lock and have that benefit. Nice, but probably very pricey.

Cheers

Ray

Edited by Ray!

If you want to know what locks are good and secure, go onto lock picking sites.

It's amazing how many brands that are sold as preimum locks are easily defeated.

Not just by picking but by other methods as well. If you know the common and basic ways of bypassing locks, there are not that many that will give you a lot of trouble.

By far the better thing to do where possible is use those lock sheild things. If you can't get to the lock, it's whole lot harder to defeat it.

My car got chained in a car park a while back ( which I had every right to be in) and thanks to a couple of tools everyone would have in their box, the thing was lying on the ground in bits 3 seconds after I walked up to the thing. Would have easily been a $50-60 lock which had to be replaced.

Hope they bought a better one next time round.

Locks are only there for honest thieves, that's why I have insurance. It's the inconvenience that you have to go through, like insurance claims etc, if you make things too easy for thieves. I don't think that's there's anything that I own, that's worth stealing, that isn't replaceable. I just like the idea of carrying/storing as few keys as possible. When we moved into our new place, it had/has five external doors, three with two locks, and every door and lock had a different key. The first thing I did was replace every lock with a keyed-alike lock so one key fits all. I cannot believe how some people operate.

Cheers

Ray

Edited by Ray!

I agree with Glort. padlocks are useless. One key fits the lot of them - a shifter.

And with a length of Pipe on the end, there's virtually no padlock they won't open.... except the ones with the shielding.

And on keys, quite often there is not that many keys to fit a specific lock.

Suffice to say I wanted to do something a little dodgy ( get into a garbage holding area to get to the waste veg oil) but didn't want to destroy a certain padlock or cause any damage. I got some numbers off the lock standing in my way and went to a lock smith to see if they were any sort of code. They werent but the guy said there were only 10 combos to that lock. $40 later I had all 10 keys and of course the one that fit.

Well worth it too, I have got a Ship load of good oil from that place over the years! :D

Apparently this is not uncommon with some locks having more combos but basicaly anything you buy at the hardware store is limited in the number of keys they have.

Yeah or just smash a window.. if they want to get into your house or car they will.. I just try and make it less appealing so the crooks go to the next car or house..

Mate lost his house key one time and was going to smash a window to get in. Was ticked off at the cost of having to replace it. I noticed a lot of left over Fibro from the recent renovations the land lord had done before he moved in and also remembered that the laundry wasnt finished yet.

We punched a hole right through the side wall of the house and got in that way. Luckily the laundry wall hadn't been gyprocked yet.

We got the spare fibro, found there was a sheet cut perfectly to size we needed and had the wall replaced and cleaned up inside of 30 min.

Mate made sure to put some heavy cupboards along that wall even when the gyprock was done!

With cars, making yours more difficult to take than the next one is about the best you can hope for. If they want it bad enough, they will winch it onto a table top tow truck and get it that way.