Joyriders ruin forest roads

twisty

Nothing unusual there, but I do find this statement somewhat vague:

"That behaviour is creating an environmental mess, and it is also impeding access to the forest for fire fighting purposes, and for normal forest uses such as firewood collection with the appropriate permits and other recreational users, like mountain bikers."

Are you, or are not allowed to enter the forest for legitimate reasons?

Cheers

Ray

Victoria's rules are a little more open to interpretation in some respects. If there's a track closed sign, gate or no gate, stay out. But there are lots of tracks that stay open in winter and DSE have been know to fine people in those areas; usually if they are going through bogs holes and the like, under track damaging rules etc. The Wombat Forest here is one that they patrol in winter.

Cheers

Ray

Well I actually agree with the sentiment. As a owner of a 4WD that's actually road legal, it ticks me off to no end to see tracks ripped up in the wet by cowboys with their big lifts and big tyres. If you want to go tear it up in the mud and leave waist deep ruts, that's fine. Just don't do it on a public accessible track!

• 2 weeks later...

This is what happens to all poorly serviced dirt roads in our parks. In nine years of living next to the parks on the Murray River the tracks sill have the deep ruts and deep holes in them, same ones even after 9 years, why? Because the tra...cks do not receive any maintenance or repairs. The park rangers say we must stick to defined tracks to avoid damage and erosion. It is illegal to make new tracks around the ruts and holes. However it’s the 2wd drivers that do in fact create the tracks around the bog holes. So now in an effort to stop the destruction, we are now going to be liable to penalties of up to $2200 if we drive on the tracks when they are wet. It appears to me they just keep looking for someone to blame for the lack of maintenance.

If its been raining and you know its going to be very muddy or high change of getting stuck - stay the hell out of the forest. Its dead simple. Take your kids to the Zoo instead or clean out your garage....

I trail bike ride as well and follow the same advise. I really struggle seeing ride reports and photos of cars/bikes in bogholes. Its irresponsible in my opinion. May as well drive/ride with no muffler.

We don't seem to have these problems in SA...

All of our state forests have fences and gates around them so we can't get in.

When there are bush fires there is always some statement like "the CFS could not save that property due to access problems"

They get around it by buying helicopters to put out bush fires. How are these funded? Noticed a new fixed speed camera in my area on Saturday, with a mobile speed camera facing the other way up the road. Lowered the speed limit to 50 just up the road (removing a 70 sign makes the road a 50 zone) from a 70 zone. New helicopters can get upgraded to GT stripes... I might go get a photo of it, pretty Sus...

Meanwhile kids have no idea what a waterfall sounds like, or what beautiful countryside looks like (without 120hz HD LCD screens).

Hope they don't close all those forest tracks and camps you guys on the east coast. We love going over there every year and enjoying nature at its best !!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Edited by dronus4x4