Merge TAS VIC AND SA

Tonka

Got a good laugh reading the comments.. But some raise good points..

Time zone?? What capital city? Day light savings (I like it)?

One comment asked not remove all boundaries? Become Australia and that's it. Just federal + council??

That is a good idea. Imagine the saved tax money...

States were formed as i understand it, to make it easier to govern the country. Im happy to be corrected if im wrong

Shameless copy n paste from Wikipedia ...

The states originated as separate British colonies prior to Federation (in 1901) ... The territories, by contrast, are from a constitutional perspective directly subject to the Commonwealth government. The Australian Parliament has powers to legislate in the territories that it does not possess in the states ... For the purposes of Australian intergovernmental bodies, the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory are treated as states.

One comment asked why not remove all boundaries? Become Australia and that's it. Just federal + council??

That is a good idea. Imagine the saved tax money...

united Australia? uniform road rules, uniform civil laws, less bureaucratic, -it will never happen. makes to much sense.

Yeah ... it does make a lot of sence. It's been an idea for a while but is quickly shouted down. I've a good friend on the local council here and he's been at it for almost 30 years (as well as farming). He would like to see the states gone as well, but doubts they ever will. Pollies give up power ... you're kidding.

And Queensland wants to separate into two states.

They've (North Queensland) wanted that since the mighty Jo was in charge. Rolling electricity blackout ... ahh, memories.

I think all that one has to do to see what a bad idea such a super-state would be is to look at Victorian super-councils, where they merged smaller councils into large ones across the state. The level of service has dropped, rates have risen, other costs have risen and ratepayers have less voice in local government, while councils pander to pet projects.

I guarantee that you'd see exactly this were the three states to merge; everyone would be worse off. And bugger merging with Tasmania, they get so many handouts because of the Greens, they'd see this as another way to bludge off states that actually produce things. No offence to Tasmanians in general, but you keep voting them in and they keep killing jobs.

Cheers

Ray

Why stop just there, get rid off of this state nonsense once and for all and as Jacket has suggested create one Australia, no more state governments and parliaments leeches and what not.

Yeah right, ...."the pigs are all fed, idling on the runway ready to fly"......and Nissan will be fitting Duramax V8s to GU's as an factory option for just $5K extra. :angry:

Edited by Rumcajs