Hi from the iron triangle

outback

Well it’s a part NADS or thereabouts.

The basic changes are :

1. Snorkel – Safari, I wanted one I can add a filter sock to it as a secondary precaution to the bulldust.

2. Catch can.

3. New bigger intercooler with fan also I am going with a thermocouple fan switch.

4. ERG shim

5. Dawes valve.

I think that was all anyway I will find out when the bill comes in.

I had thought about adding the gauges but that does become a problem in respect to their location in my GU IV.  I had thought of a column pod set up but wondered about the legality of this after reading the gumph re the location of a GPS unit on the dash/window.

The only addition I want to add is a duel battery monitor. Not that happy with fully sealed batteries.

I am being lazy with this and just left an order for the complete install with a crowd called Alltrac4WD, (a little 400Ks done the track). I could get it done locally if you call 80 odd Ks local out here, next city.

Anyway it should be ready before I hit the Flinders again next month.

Actually unless your intercooler is leaking I'll leave as last.

You definitely want boost and EGT gauges in there especially with that van of yours.

Have a look what I have done with mine (instead of that useless centre console) I prefer those gauges cause they're digital, have smaller foot print and I can fit 2 more, probably oil pressure and fuel pressure units and they also have min/max readout --> and last photo is an idea one bloke from Victoria was willing to part with for around $250 last year.

Here would be my list:

1. Provent catch can

2. Boost and EGT gauges

3. Safari snorkel

4. 2x Dawes + needle valve + EGR shim

Cheers

post-9-0-69391000-1369301020_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-27275600-1369301217_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-52640700-1369302589_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rumcajs

Those gauges look interesting. One reason I had against gauges was their size. So where did you get these from?

Also where have you put you controls re needle vale etc. I gather you have manual & electronic control on the Dawes and needle valve set up.

The pics scare me as well. How in the heck do you keep the cab clean?

I would have to dust and vacuum each day to keep it looking like that. Even then there is always a smudge of red earth in there somewhere that wont budge. 

I've got the gauges from Auberins in States, very good service and priced well but a bit of mission to choose right options/settings if you don't understand instructions -->

boost/EGT gauges

all auto gauges

They've got different LED (standard is red) colours to choose from and wide range of transducers you'll have your head spinning to pick right one. I'd get Auber-303 (its for Diesels) although you can use others e.g. Auber-103 (its more for Petrol cars) or my favorite Auber-205g with 1/8 NPT which means getting 1/4 to 1/8 NTP adapter/reducers in the boost pipe gives you perfect point for all, sensor and Dawes connections. I'm gonna get that one eventually instead of Auber-103 I have (it was sent to me by a mistake)

I keep needle valve in the engine bay as I don't want to fiddle with it while I'm driving for start and idea of 2 + meters of vacuum hoses run inside doesn't appeal to me either.
Because I use dual Dawes set up the needle valve is sorta just "set and forget" once you set it up right to you likings. Voltage switch to control dual stage Dawes is living under centre console with rest of the relays for glow plugs timer as well(very useful and recommended mod too)

As for keeping interior clean, don't be fooled its not that hard I usually clean it once I get sick of getting dirty just getting inside.

Cheers

Also,

I am being lazy with this and just left an order for the complete install with a crowd called Alltrac4WD, (a little 400Ks done the track). I could get it done locally if you call 80 odd Ks local out here, next city.

Careful what you wish/do as not many workshop actually know what to do with Dawes+needle valve combo. As far as the mentioned biz is concerned they don't seem like reputable mob when it comes to ZD30s indeed any fourby requiring more than a service and filters change.

post-9-0-75131600-1369381976_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-01039700-1369382011_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-28427300-1369382193_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rumcajs

• 4 weeks later...