Glow plug light

skid

I have a 2000 GU series 2 which was originally a 3Ltr but the previous owner converted it to a 4.2Ltr being a 4.2 silvertop, the problem I have is when I glow the plugs, the light stays on for about 3 seconds, if the motor is already warm the light will only stay on for a second, where and how to I make adjustments to make the plugs glow longer?
Also when I start the motor regardless if the motor is hot or cold, the is a cloud of blackish/greyish smoke, I really notice at night if I put my foot down going up a hill and there is a car behind me, it looks like I have flicked a switch to turn on smoke screen mode!!!! during the day if I put the foot down sometimes I can see a bit of black smoke. The motor has done 320000, other than the above problems/concerns it runs well

I don't think there is anything wrong with your glow plugs. They only glow on start up, and up till the water temp reaches 50 degC, thereafter the glow plugs just sit there looking pretty and do nothing......hahaha.

When last did you check the air filter? Mine tends to do that too when the filter is getting clogged up. If you have like me, the ZD30 airbox, then I'm sure a new filter will help get rid of the black/grey smoke. That colour smoke is indicating that not all the diesel is getting properly used/burnt. This means either over-fueling or insufficient air. So unless you recently fiddled the fuel screw around..... my deduction is not enough air. 

There is no issue with your glow plug system unless it is hard to start when cold when operating as you've described...

Anyway, depending how it was converted (engine) glow plugs timing has been controlled either by the engine ECU (ZD30) or via "Glow control unit" (TD42) both control actual glow relay either ground (ZD30) or ignition positive (TD42) so in reality you could just do it yourself via momentary switch controlling either side as required where you holding the contact closed would determine the glow time. There is no need for post glow unless you operate in Alps.

The glow light on instrument cluster is just a fraud because Nissan doesn't want you to know how long the actual post glow time takes so they use that light only as some kind of condescending info to tell you when you can start/crank the engine.....(once the light goes out but it still glows, so you can"t take that light as information as to what is happening to glow plugs process because it is not there for that purpose) I have hacked mine so it actually stays on as long as glow time is happening and I still control/override glow time as I wish via separate timer and momentary switch.

As for the smoke, easiest scenario is the air cleaner if you have ZD30 air box, that is most restrictive air box like ever (another idiotic Jap design)the air cleaner is so big that it causes the air only to enter at the side entrance to the air box so it blocks very quickly.....in layman's term the full area of the air cleaner element is not even utilized. If you can find a replacement air cleaner with smaller diameter but same height to fit in the box let us know some have tried and while they improved the efficiency the lack of correct height means that clamping force of the lid is reduced and can cause by pass....

The worst scenario for the smoking is the injectors are worn out and having faulty spray pattern or dribble fuel.

By any chance yours isn't also turbo charged (non genuine) where yours is missing a smoke box aka smoke limiter or compensator on the injection pump to limit the fuel amount until turbo pushes sufficient amount of air in to combustion chambers.....typical DIY turbo retrofit btw.

Regards

Edited by Rumcajs

its good to know that I don't need to stress about my glow plug light. re my td42 yes it was originally out of a 1990 GQ non turbo, the previous owner converted it from a zd30 when he blew it up to a TD42 silver top so assume as per your comment " By any chance yours isn't also turbo charged (non genuine) " so agree with your comment of " yours is missing a smoke box aka smoke limiter or compensator ", so where do I start with regards to curing it and making or fitting a smoke limiter, or should I just not worry about it, apart from a plume of smoke every time I start it, it's more of an embarrassment when I first start

12 hours ago, skid said:

....., so where do I start with regards to curing it and making or fitting a smoke limiter, or should I just not worry about it, apart from a plume of smoke every time I start it, it's more of an embarrassment when I first start

Well, you can't just fit smoke limiter to the injection pump which hasn't got a provision for it for a start, so you'd have to source IP suitable for that engine with turbo charger option which for GQ I'm not aware ever happened, unless you have TD42T engine from GU which was factory turbo so you could use that pump which will set you $$$$. So forget that.

The smoke in this case would only be happening during WOT at lower RPMs.

The plummes of smoke immediately after start can be a symptom of glow plugs actually not working correctly that is a problem with the hardware not the control. Glow plugs are like spark plugs in petrol engine disposable limited life span products. TD42 is indirect injection diesel so properly heating up precombustion chambers (especially when it is cold) is crucial hence glow plugs must operate correctly. When was the last time you have checked them or were replaced, metal tips units usually only last for about 40,000 kms at best.

Personally if you had done at least 50,000 kays and had not have glow plugs checked/replaced them do so.

It would also be prudent to have the injectors checked as well given the age of the vehicle, is there any history there in regards to injectors being serviced?

Regards

I've done near 20K on it fro when I bought it last year and it had just over 300K then, I have no idea on the history of the glow pligs or injectors being serviced, so when I get paid I'll order some glow plugs to start with, then I'llbe on the hunt for injectors, do you have any idea what price I'll be looking at to replace the injectors and glow plugs?

Before you go out and spent the hard earned $$$ do simple checks first:

Disconnect "buzz" bar (glow plugs conntecting plate) from glow plugs and then check with multimeter continuity between contact on each glow plug and ground (engine head), no continuity means failed glow plug. 

You can also check with multimeter if the behavior of the glow plugs system goes as bellow:

"When the ignition switch i s turned-on, the relay is turned on and the "high-level" electric current flows
through the glow plugs and heats .them up quickly. After T1 seconds have passed, the control unit turns off
the glow indicator but the relay remains on. The relay "chops" the electric current when the ignition switch
turns to "START" from-"ON".
The relay has been chopping for T, seconds after the ignition switch has returned to "ON" from "START".
the electric current while T4 - T1, seconds after the ignition switch has
When not cranking, the relay chops turned to "ON" from-"OFF".
T1 : approx. 2 - 6 [sec.] (Varies with coolant temperature.)
T2, : approx. 3 - 14 [sec.] (Varies with glow plug terminal voltage.)
T3, : approx. 15 [sec.]
T4, : approx. 15 [sec.]
When the ignition switch is repeatedly turned "ON" and "OFF", T, becomes shorter."

Above is how it is suppose to work on factory installed TD42 so in your case lets hope the person who did the conversion followed the right thing.

Regards

Edited by Rumcajs