IT BEGINS ( engine conversion )

How's it going guys

Today marked the beginning of my conversion. Unfortunately I was unable to begin until 3 this Arvo as I had work to do on a few hiluxs.

So I pretty much got 2 solid hours of work done.

I dropped all the fluids, removed the dump pipe, removed radiator and shrouds, air box, fuel filter and housing, starter motor, fan, power steering reservoir, decanted the aircon gas and removed most of the wiring harness. Unfortunately I ran out of light so back at it tomorrow morning.

Hoping to have the motor out by lunch.

Heaps more pics tomorrow

post-51-133820737588_thumb.jpgpost-51-133820739355_thumb.jpg

post-51-133820735748_thumb.jpg

Edited by Russ81

That's kind of interesting, as I can tow a 2 ton trailer or my campervan behind mine in my automatic, which doesn't have the ideal gearing at times, in the Gippsland hills (which aren't just rolling meadows), without any issues whatsoever. I did a V8 conversion a long time ago to one of my Patrols and while it went, it sure did hurt the back pocket. Enjoy the conversion, I had fun with mine, but I couldn't keep up with the fuel payments today.

Cheers

Ray

Yeah it's a pain in the arse, I'm not the only one that has a lack of power with the CRD my old boss has a 2011 patrol and can't even make it up green mount hill in one go. Believe it or not the conversion will lower my fuel bill. I sit around 22-24l per 100 when towing after the new motor goes in I will be returning around 17l per hundred. We have already converted a 2003 the same as we are doing to mine and it is a weapon of a car. I was a little hesitant of going away from diesel but short of going a duramax this will give the most bang for my buck.

Yeh they seem funny things these crds eh. I've got a manual and recently towing my windup caravan from bunbury the long way to bremer and back averaged 17/100. But you often hear of people getting mid to high 20s towing. Will be very interesting to see how the 6ltr goes. How are you going with emission crap, being a fairly new truck.

Shane

Fuel usage never used to bother me id just fill up whenever it needed it. It wasnt until i fitted the scan gauge 2 that I realized how crap the economy was. Emissions shouldn't be an issue as I will fit the ls2 factory cat when I fab the exhaust.

Edited by Russ81

• 2 weeks later...

Nah at this stage I am still waiting for the insurance company to release the donor vehicle. I am going this route as I will also get recaro seats, long range tanks, diff armour, chromoly cvs plus a range of other goodies. If they decide to no write it off it's just a matter of ordering everything, 3-5 day wait for delivery and then it's on. I wouldn't have pulled my motor out yet except I sold it to a bloke who had his zd30 grenade on him.

The pics are coming I promise

It's from a mates patrol that had already been converted.

Just gotten off the phone, I will be taking everything from his car minus the motor, as I have a L98 on the way from over east which should be here next week.

Edited by Russ81

It's from a mates patrol that had already been converted.

Just gotten off the phone, I will be taking everything from his car minus the motor, as I have a L98 on the way from over east which should be here next week.

L76/L98's are GREAT motors! You do know they're different from the LS2? LS2 is the HiPerf version that HSV uses, while the L76/L98 are the 6.0 litre motors Holden used in the Commodore (VZ series 2 on).

The aussie LS1 forum has great info, but I'd think you'd want it pretty std so the power/torque comes on as low in the rev range as possible.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...