WOW CHEAP GQ

Cars are the best of all for being over priced.

I was visiting my long estranged old man the other week at his wrecking yard.

A guy came in wanting to sell a 20 yo vehicle that raised a stack of questions as to it's legitimacy to be road worthy.

He told the old fella that he was interested in selling the thing. The old man said he wasn't interested and pointed to a line of 8 of the same vehicles on the front row of the yard. The guy said he only wanted $XXX dollars for the thing. The old fella said just hand on a minute and returned with a valuation guide. He asked the guy how long he had the thing and was told he bought it new.

The old man then pointed out that what the guy was asking was at very least near a grand more than what he had paid new for the thing.

He said if the guy restored the thing to as new condition, to come back in another 20 years and he -might- get his price then.

The best one I have come across lately is my neighbours son.

The old girl passed away a while back and left the house to her son and Daughter. They want to sell with me as a development site.

Valued at $800K and being a block only 3/4 the size of mine, the place is stricktly land value only due to the condition of the house which is falling down literally.

The guy told his sister that he wasn't happy with the valuation and was going to " Demand" at least $1M.

I told him straight out, you can " Demand" what you like but you'll understand when people are going to laugh in your face and go round the corner and buy a block that the owners have a realistic market value on.

Luckily the guy has gone OS and left the sister who is much more realistic in her expactations with power of attorney over the sale.

Always astounds me how people think because THEY have owned something that t's worth more than the other hundred other same items for sale.

i love when people advertise a car with "$15k of extras" like 2inch lift, dual batteries, factory bullbar, Chinese winch, homemade drawers, uhf, 33inch tyres. . . . . . . . . . you ring them and say you will take the car how it was stock for 15k less than they are asking. . . . . they spit chips every time. :D

i sell a car i always offer to take stuff off it to make it cheaper. . . . . like you would if the stuff on your car was worth anything.

• 2 weeks later...

i love when people advertise a car with "$15k of extras" like 2inch lift, dual batteries, factory bullbar, Chinese winch, homemade drawers, uhf, 33inch tyres. . . . . . . . . . you ring them and say you will take the car how it was stock for 15k less than they are asking. . . . . they spit chips every time. :D

My favourite is on Ebay when they say " Reserve the right to end the auction early as Item is advertised elsewhere".

I email them and ask where else the item is advertised and how much as I'd like to have a look with a View to buying it outright.

Only ever had one response and that guy got rather upset for some unknown reason. :rolleyes:

I put my first GU on eBay and some knob offered me around $10,000 - $15,000 less than the asking price (I can't remember which) and to whom I politely replied with no thanks. I then started to receive a tirade of abusive email from him about the price and anything else he could think of, so eventually I notified eBay about him and that stopped the rants. I sold the Patrol for the asking price a week later. I have no idea why this guy got so obsessed with the Patrol and my asking price, which was quite reasonable, as I sold it to the first person who came to have a look and test drive. I guess it takes all kinds.

Cheers

Ray

Maybe .. He just has a "different" motivation? Sometimes we sell things cause we have been told too... For instance, I have a Jet ski in the back shed, that I hardly ride, (use to ride a lot)... The wife is rather insistant that it should go. I like it.. I may want to ride it again.. I once spent a lot of money on it, and it has some great memories.

So as an obedient Husband, I did advertise it once, and no doubt will be made to again.. The only problem was ... I was unwilling to move on the $3mill asking price... :D :D