Differences between 2.8 6cyl and 4.2 6cyl

admin

Depending who you ask 2.8 is rather underpowered and since it is high revving engine it suffers from low down torque or lack thereof. Turbo lag is also an issue.

Its alloy head is a constant problem as are high maintenance requirements. My summary as follow:

TD42 - old lump of iron but dependable but at the same token the age is its drawback.

RD28 - excellent but wacky ideas and money pit for the owners

ZD30 - the one night stand between the French and Jap produced the ugley offspring noone wants.

It is official than Nissan is unable to design and produce decent Diesel engine.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Answer,

Reliability

TD42

ZD30CRD

RD28

ZD30DI

Fuel Economy

ZD30DI

RD28

ZD30CRD

TD42

(the last two with quite some variation)

Power (standard)

ZD30CRD

ZD30DI

TD42

RD28 (by quite a bit)

Tunability

TD42

ZD30CRD

RD28 and ZD30Di (equal)

Depreceation (highest to lowest)

RD28

ZD30DI

ZD30CRD

TD42

This varies but year and model of ZD30DI, ZD30CRD, TD42 as some had extra attachments, some had less, some had program changes, different injectors, intercoolers, etc. This is just a generalisation of standard form. This is only in respect to diesel GU Patrols. RD28s also have different diffs and gearboxes. They also have a timing belt which IMO is the biggest no no for an engine, I hate the concept of a belt for engine timing.

Edited by heyhey

Ok, silly q

What should I pay for a Good example of say 2005 Td 4.2 with say a 2" koni lift, rack/basket on roof, dual bat system, rear bar with two tyre holders, reverse camera, leather, 100000km give or take.

I had a 2000 3L wagon which I thought had heaps of go. I then bought a 2002 td4.2t and it was a slug but I wanted the reliability. After quite a few k's in the 4.2 I upgraded the turbo, added a very average intercooler and got the injector pump serviced. It now pulls like a train and I would be surprised if a 3L was any better.

There is heaps you can do on a td42 to make it better and you always have the confidence that the underlying engine is rock solid. This is definitely not true with either DI3L or the CRD3L.