Sustainability or Delusion?

Ray!

Great Barrier House, built by Crosson, Clarke and Carnachan in New Zealand’s Great Barrier Island, is a sustainable solar-powered home constructed of sustainably-sourced timber in deference to its ecologically-sensitive island surroundings.

The fully solar-powered home has had as many as nine laptops in use simultaneously, all without ever making use of the backup generator that is on hand just in case.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/this-eco-friendly-new-zealand-home-is-powered-entirely-by-the-sun/

First question: What is sustainably-sourced timber? Is this different from timber grown in plantations etc?

Second question: Why do environmentally conscious people need to run nine laptops at the same time? Why does anyone need nine laptops in the first place?

Third question: What are the two 45kg gas bottles in the background for?

Fourth question: I can understand a fireplace for the mood, but why so big in an ecologically sound house? Is the timber that's burned sustainably-sourced?

Fifth question: Where the hell do they sleep?

Sixth question: Is this mere green delusion?

Cheers

Ray

http://www.gizmodo.c...ely-by-the-sun/

Second question: Why do environmentally conscious people need to run nine laptops at the same time? Why does anyone need nine laptops in the first place?

I think that is irelevant Ray.

I believe it is mere rubbish to make the place sound impressive. Sounds better than saying It won't run a washing machine or electric iron, microwave or god forbid, a clothes dryer.

Third question: What are the two 45kg gas bottles in the background for?

Did you miss it Ray or were you just building up the irony?

See this Pic right above the back door.

47fa2529273adcf11ad6c035cd66f791.jpg

If that isn't the ultimate mockery and hypocracy of what this house purports to be, I don't know what is. More feel good greenie Bullchit at its Finest/ worst.

Clearly these clowns don't have the first idea what they are talking about or don't actually care.

Fourth question: I can understand a fireplace for the mood, but why so big in an ecologically sound house? Is the timber that's burned sustainably-sourced?

It appears to me the place is NOT double glazed. You mentioned yourself in another thread you found pulling the curtains helped. Can you imagine the heat loss of all that single pane glass?

Given the place is up off the ground, I'd also like to know if the floor is insulated? If not, that would make the place akin to a lunchbox in an esky without a bloody big fire to keep it warm.

Sixth question: Is this mere green delusion?

Given the answers to the previous 2 questions, I'd say it's complete and utter green Bullchit of the most insulting kind.

That heater is beyond a joke and so is the mention of this place in the same sentance as sustainability.

I'd like to know how big those panels on the roof are? They don't look to be 5KW to me.

I'd also like to know how they mow all that lush green lawn. Spose if you have no problem with an outdoor heater a petrol powered Lawnmower is not worth a passing thought.

How can a place be fully solar powered when it has a backup generator and 45 KG gas bottles??

I think I'll put a single $5 solar cell on my roof and then run everything else off a diesel generator and say it's the worlds most efficent solar house and runs off just one single solar cell! :rolleyes:

These people must think everyone else is an idiot.

They said that the glass is made from some special material that apparently retains heat, but everything about the house implies to me that it isn't all that heat retentive. Notice the 2000W or whatever electric heater over the door facing the balcony? Notwithstanding, doesn't it all sound so ecologically sound?

Cheers

Ray

Without sounding like I agree with you Ray ;) That dwelling is anything but ecological/sustainable. For start how much energy is used to manufacture the glass in the first place? :(

Of course it is mere green delusion as is everything else bout the green movement. :angry:

I remember a story about a Sydney person who built completely self sufficient, low energy requirement house and spent 5 years in courts defending his rights to have it. Sued by the council/government and state utilities as they feared that if everyone started building dwellings like that they'd put out of business. This whole eco/green/sustainable is a crook of chit and utter hypocrasy when it comes from the gubermnint and power utilities.

Cheers

. Sued by the council/government and state utilities as they feared that if everyone started building dwellings like that they'd put out of business. This whole eco/green/sustainable is a crook of chit and utter hypocrasy when it comes from the gubermnint and power utilities.

Cheers

Couldn't agree more.

Like Sydney water in their last application to the pricing tribunal to increase water prices. They argued that after encouraging everyone to put rain water tanks on their house because they were chit scared their mismanagment would lead to Sydney running dry, They were now loosing so much revenue because people were using so much less plus the predicted years of rain ahead would mean less garden watering and they would be watering from the rain tanks anyway.

The application before they argued they needed to put the price up to make people use less, then they argued they had to put it up again because people were now doing what they actually wanted.

And that's not uban myth or twisting the story, I have PDF files of both applications where they state this and I believe these applications can still be downloaded off the sydney water site.

I think their should be special laws concerning anything to do with green mentality, save the planet or anything else enviromental.

LIke in the case of this crock of chit house, unless you can prove and Justify the thing uses less energy or is more sustainable or whatever your BS claim is, then you can't say it is or you face heavy fines for " Crimes against the environment".

That ought to sort some of this green crap out. :angry:

I love looking at that Inhabitat web site to see what new piece of crock their promoting. Every article seems to require the word 'sustainable', or the like, to be used wherever possible and every time they mention wood, it's nearly always prefaced with such oxymorons. What's the difference between sustainable wood and wood? There a brilliant article on some Japanese 'Chikuno' charcoal filters that use bamboo charcoal, supported on a base of 'all-natural' wood, unlike unnatural wood. What they fail to show is an alternative 'Chikuno' bamboo charcoal filter supported by (natural?) plastic. Also, the all electric automatic John Deere lawnmower is a classic, no pollution whatsoever. Err, no? Not to mention that lawn, especially in Australia, is probably the energy/resource inefficient plant that you can grow.

Cheers

Ray

This is excellent - the US Bureau of Labor Statistics view of what constitutes green jobs:

It turns out that according to the administration, “green jobs” include: college professors teaching classes on environmental studies, clerks at bicycle repair shops, antique dealer employees, Salvation Army workers because they are selling used clothing, stores selling rare books and manuscripts, consignment shop workers, used record shop employees, garbage disposal workers, and even oil lobbyists if they are engaged in advocacy related to environmental issues.

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/exploding_the_green_jobs_myth/

I wonder how Australia's equivalent calculates green jobs?

Cheers

Ray

Is there a financial benifit to being in a green job or some other favourable aspect one can cash in on?

I'd have to be green as a forest with my veg oil activities.

Funny how the greenies get all bent out of shape when you tell them you are only doing it for the savings not the environment.