No power to driver side hi beam

BigGQWesty

Ok.. Been bugging me for a bit.. I got every other light on the bus (finally) working but this one.. :(

I started by pulling the light out and checked the globe.. All good. Plug is good on low but nothing on hi.

I've pulled the steering column apart to check the switches. All is good there but I did notice that the driving lights have been wired into this wire also to the solenoid so I'm not sure if this could be my issue..

So what am I missing??

Have checked fuses. Both are fine. Might pull the box out and check behind it.. All connections look clean and no dodgy crimps. All soldered apart from the solenoid. I pulled the feed wire off it still no good.

Globe is fine, but as I mentioned I have no power at the plug..

It's looking more like a broken wire.. But I'm not pulling the loom apart to find it.. Lol

Does the high beam warning light in the dash still light up when on high beam?

If it does your problem has to be either a faulty bulb or a bad connection in the headlight plug or possible a break in the wiring running from the headlight into the switch.

If your high beam light doesn't work (assuming the high beam warning light bulb is not blown) then the problem is more then likely dirty contacts in the switch.

The Red with a Green trace wire at the headlight switch should have power in it when on high beam, if it doesn't, the problem it with the switch contacts.

You can try bridging power from the Red with a White trace wire (in the same plug) to the Red with a Green trace wire to confirm the RHS high beam comes on.

Edited by Yendor

The headlight part of the combination switch has 4 separate contacts.

One set for drivers side low beam, one for passengers side low beam, one for drivers side high beam and one for passenger side high beam.

So when you turn high beam on you should have power in two wires coming from the switch (Red with a Green trace wire and Red with a Black trace wire).

The high beam warning light in the dash also gets it power from the same switch contacts as the drivers side headlight (Red with a Green trace wire).

Because your high beam warning light also doesn't work I believe it's this one set of contacts that are dirty/faulty in your switch.

Edited by Yendor

You were close Yender..

After pulling apart the whole dash to discover the Hi beam light is fine (switch indicator and hb bulbs) I worked back to the switch.. I don't know what I was thinking but the was no power at the crimps. So I've popped the back of the contacts part of the unit to find no power at all to the contact do the RHS.. Now these are a moulded box so the lid is as far as you can dig so what I have done is jumped power from the LHS one..

Hope this works...

post-299-133981649847_thumb.jpg

That's a strange one, normally it's just dirty contacts.

You repair is not ideal, you now have both the LHS and RHS high beam running through the same fuse.

Normally this is not a problem but the GQs have a problem with melting the headlight fuse holder when only one bulb is running through it.

You would be better off using a relay.

Edited by Yendor

I'd fix that properly if I where you. One of my mates did a dodgy repair job like that and it lasted a couple of months before it melted everything in the switch and had damaged a few other wires in the loom and lost his lights in the middle of no where. I kept telling him to fix it but he new better. lol

It ended up costing him nearly $1000 to replace half the loom instead of $100 for a new combination switch. Don't cut corners with wiring especially something as important and lights. They will fail when you least want them too it's Murphies Law.

Cheers Mick.

Was he running ridiculously over sized globes though? I'm only running the 55/110's and the size of the contacts IMHO and a good electrician mates HO recon there fine for the wattsI'm running threw it. I'm still only running a 15A fuse to.

But if I do go a bigger globe I'll change out the unit. Just to be sure.

Edited by BigGQWesty