Sadly I hope I'm banned

mikegq

As the thread went......

MiniMackGQ

So your turbo is leaking oil or your bearings have worn out? Checking that your turbo is not being over or under supplied is easy. The way we do it where i work is : Make sure oil level in sump is good. One person in car with stop watch and another under the hood. Remove oil feed line to turbo and any fittings in top of turbo fit back to oil feed line. You need to catch the oil in a measuring jug. Start the engine run at idle and when the oil comes out the line start timing 15 secs. Shut engine off, running turbo for 15secs at idle is not a problem but if you have to repeat test use oil can to pump some oil into oil feed. You then times the amount of oil caught by 4 to get your litres per minute (LPM). For ball bearing turbos you need 1.5-1.8 LPM and plain bearing turbos 1.8-2.0 LPM. These figures we have used for years and will ensure your turbo is not over or under suppiled. If your LPM is not enough then you may have to increase oil feed line size or pick oil supply closer to oil pump usually oil pressure sensor is the best spot to tee into. People always ask what size restrictor to use in the oil supply line but it's not that simple as (turbo A requires restrictor C) . Because you can have 2 engines of the same model lets say TD42's both running Garrett GT2860rs turbos but if 1 engine has i slightly worn oil pump then the oil line/ restrictor will be different. Thats why you need to check "your" engines oil flow. Hope this helps save a turbo

Cheers MiniMackGQ

MikeGQ

Just jumped on to have a laugh at you all, ban me if u will but this place is rooted. Here for example you have a very knowledgable turbo technician fitting, modding and rebuilding turbos for years giving very good and commonly used infomation to (FUNNILY ENOUGH) help others that may need it and he gets comments like above with no reason, totally unnesisarry IMO. I have been a member from the beginning and this place really has gone south. Now I know y glort removed all his posts, y bother those who don't appreciate it. I feel the same way ATM. You should all get off you high horses. This is a bloody technical forum designed to help other patrol enthusiasts, sadly it's no longer worth of that title it's just a forum of slander. Good work

BTW, this post will probably be deleted by admin. . . . possibly not.

http://www.expatshield.com/

If you wish to join/rejoin any site/forum in future for whatever reason, where you might not be normally welcome, Download and run this, it shields your ip address, you can simply sign up and mods/admin will be none the wiser that its you.

Edited by Jacket_1985

Remember Mike, Banning is a right of passage that gets you into the esteemed Bad Boys Club here.

Frankly I'm surprised people aren't telling them to shove it in drove just to get in!

They probably haven't heard about it yet but once word gets out and we go Viral, There won't be a person on the face of the planet that wouldn't give their first born Child for a membership number!

I cant help but not say this but that "test" is in no way a good situation for your turbo, whilst you do the test. And has no real connection with other factors in a oil supply line. I know what an OEM designer/manufacturer would say to this test.

Trickling oil at atmospheric pressure is one thing, full oil pressure is another, even at idle. You will do all the damage you are trying to prevent during this test alone. 15 seconds is a long time even at idle.

If the oil pressure to the turbo at idle isnt going to hurt the turbo, why is the oil flow even relevant at idle?

I would use an electronic inline flow meter. Which wont interupt the workings of the engine, especially the oil, of all things.

Edited by bigbear

I cant help but not say this but that "test" is in no way a good situation for your turbo, whilst you do the test. And has no real connection with other factors in a oil supply line. I know what an OEM designer/manufacturer would say to this test.

Trickling oil at atmospheric pressure is one thing, full oil pressure is another, even at idle. You will do all the damage you are trying to prevent during this test alone. 15 seconds is a long time even at idle.

If the oil pressure to the turbo at idle isnt going to hurt the turbo, why is the oil flow even relevant at idle?

I would use an electronic inline flow meter. Which wont interupt the workings of the engine, especially the oil, of all things.

That's lovely but u r missing the point of this topic, y don't u post this in the actual thread on hear or p4x4 and then u can actually discuss it with the OP?