When is 99.95% not enough?

Ray!

When mum says so:

A STUDENT at an elite Sydney private school who scored a uni admissions rank of 99.95 out of 100 in 2008 has lost an appeal alleging discrimination stopped her getting full marks.

Abbotsleigh student Sarah Hui Xin Wong’s mother Eileen complained to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal that the Board of Studies had unlawfully discriminated against Sarah because they didn't provide her with adequate special provisions to help her write her exam essays.

http://www.news.com....9-1226416740429

I think mum was wong.

Cheers

Ray

OK:

Exhaust: High flow/performance - $1000-1500

Turbo: High performance ball-bearing - $3000-5000

Injectors: High flow - $900-1200

Fuel Pump: Recalibrated to suit - $2000-3000

Intercooler: High performance basic - $1000-1200

Misc Parts: $1000-2000

Labour: $?

Probably missed a few things.

Cheers

Ray

Everything kind of comes in interrelated packages. The turbo, injectors and fuel pump pretty much need to be done in unison. You may possibly be able to change the intercooler, but you won't necessarily get maximum benefit unless you modify/adjust boost, injection and fueling. With the 4.2, everything is mechanical, so it can only be done with spanners, sockets and flow benches, not computers.

Chers

Ray

I wouldn't bother with the intercooler first off. Find a good diesel shop and get them to work on the injectors and fuel pump, and see if they can modify boost with the factory turbo to complement the other adjustments (this is the cheapest option - if you can find a good diesel shop). You might be able to get say a 10-15% performance improvement with a relatively factory setup.

Chers

Ray

How much grunt do you want??

I'd try winding up the turbo and the pump and see what Improvement you get. Diesels usually have a lot of untapped potential just with the stock components. Sure there is a lot more to be had with a heap of mods but there are worthwhile gains that can be had for nothing as well.

I'd say you have done the most benificial mod already in the exhaust. The snorkel, Performance wise I'd not be the slightest bit surprised if that was actually a detriment.

I wound up my little Pug on the boost and fuel and the thing is holding it's own with V8's now. It's no powerhouse but it's a light little thing and the torque is amazing. If I have it rolling in first with the clutch fully out and stand on it, it just breaks traction. In 2nd and 3rd when the boost hits properly, the clutch slips if its rolling too slow when the boost hits.

Only thing I have done is Modify the airbox by taking out some internal baffles and putting in bigger inlets and transfer Pipes. I also threw out the stock Muffler and fitted one off a V8 Commodore to give it more flow.

Total mod cost is under $50 and it goes Damn well.

I also played with my mercs turning up the pump on those and while they were still slugs, the performance increase was significant and made for a lot nicer car to drive.

I have never found a vehicle yet that can't be improved to some degree with little to no money spent but diesels seem to be totally under rated from the factory to their potential.

Turning up the fuel is a simple no cost job and has a lot of potential right there.

I think if you made the most of what you already have, you'd find there is still a lot of worthwhile gains to be made without spending silly money on the thing.

hahahahahahaha ... thread remained on topic for ONE post, the OP. That's just wong :lol:

excellent work ya'll.

Still on topic.. 99.95% of the potential power just isn't quite good enough ..

They other bit ray added was just a gentle read while pondering potential upgrades we could discuss...