Below Zero

Ray!

That's what it was this morning and still only 2 deg at the moment. I need to get a wood fired heater ASAP, so that I can keep a fire going all day and night. Still can't figure out why the previous owner installed a gas fired heater. Bloody 45kg bootles empty quicker than a keg at 21st.

Cheers

Ray

Still can't figure out why the previous owner installed a gas fired heater. Bloody 45kg bootles empty quicker than a keg at 21st.

Cheers

Ray

I had one of those and found the same thing.

Using it as sparingly as possible, it was still difficult to get a fortnight out of a bottle and that was with not using it through the day at all.

Very expensive way to heat.

If you have your own wood supply, wood heaters are great. If you have to buy it, they become very expensive as well.

I built a wood fired oven and fuel that with old pallets I find around the factories. where ever there is a pile of them, they also have a stack of broken ones they are getting rid of. I'm glad to help out becuase the broken ones are a lot easier to cut up into suitable sizes.

I'm in the process of building an outdoor oil fired heater. I'll have it heat water and circulate that through a radiator(s) with a fan to bring the heat in.

Make sure you get the smallest one that will heat the area - last one I installed, I ordered one for 18sq, but by the time they delivered they sent the 22sq model because they'd discontinued the other one.

Always had to throttle it back so much the glass was never clear, because with a nice burn we had to open all the outside doors.......

Might be worth considering the pellet heaters which can burn wheat, olive pips, etc, if you think you might get sick of gathering wood.

I plan on getting about he smallest necessary, but since we have a lot of gum available, I'm just going to get a conventional heater. And once our back veranda is fully enclosed, I have two chimineas that can heat that area, which will send heat into the house, so we should be reasonably well covered.

It turned out to be a beaut day today, clear skies and probably around 20C, but that'll only last until the afternoon and then it'll get cold again.

Cheers

Ray

I had a wood heater in our last house and put one in the new house a week or two after we moved in, i love the damn things.

Got mine off ebay for $500 , mint cond with brass coloured/glass door, really nice, and big.

I'm on a couple of acres and have dropped a few gums, get the tree cutter to block em at the same time, endless firewood!

The best thing i did was buy a (hate to say it) chinese 13hp honda wood splitter, it cost me 2k but is worth every cent, makes life so much easier, and i love splitting wood on a quiet day while sucking on a stubby!

I thoroughly researched the splitter and bought it from a vic mob with a shop front in town down there somewhere, i thought at least i can get spare parts and they have a fone number.

So far it hasnt missed a beat and the neighbours and i have thrown some 15-20 yo hardwood in it, slowed it a bit but thought id push it to the limit whilst new.

I was getting sick of buying wood, this is the best thing ive bought so far!

Good for a piss up on a sunday arv with the neighbours too!

Sorry to waffle.