Winch Control Box Covers

I got a bit nervous when i heard about how water can get into the control box for the winch. I ran silicoln around all the screw holes but was concerned about the plug where the controller goes if the cap didnt seal correctly.

Being that my car doesnt get driven much during the week i had an idea to make a cover that can go over the control box to keep rain out while its sitting there, or even while driving.

Here is version 0.1a. It looks pretty good but i need to test out its waterproofness and how long it will last outside.

What do you think? Maybe if i can refine it, and the price is right people might like one for their winch control box?

Click on the photos for a better image.

post-101-0-28665000-1336624327_thumb.gif

post-101-0-74743800-1336624337_thumb.gif

Edited by dronus4x4

One thing I did with my winch install was to get some five-core, 15A, trailer wire and re-route the controller plug and switches into the engine bay. That way they are protected and much easier to get to, as my control box is behind the winch inside the bullbar. I could have move the solenoids as well, but simply sprayed them with waterproofing compound. Most people don't even realise that I have a winch.

Cheers

Ray

Thats a great idea Ray! Might have to look into that.. wonder if modifying the cables would affect warrenty? Although, from what ive read water ingress into the controlbox isnt covered by warrenty anyway so anything to prevent it is a good thing.

Thats a great idea Ray! Might have to look into that.. wonder if modifying the cables would affect warrenty? Although, from what ive read water ingress into the controlbox isnt covered by warrenty anyway so anything to prevent it is a good thing.

All my wires either plugged in or screwed in, so I didn't modify the control box in any material way, other than what was needed to make the extension wiring for the controller plug etc. I don't think that could affect warranty, as you're actually providing protection for the system. I guess it depends on whether the seller/manufacturer wants to be a bastard.

Cheers

Ray

I did something similar to Ray, used 5 core trailer wire to install 2 switches in the cab. One as a kill switch cutting power to the solenoids and another as the forward and resverse. So I neve even used my hand control or plugged it in. I used the directions that were on another site and still have the pics on my pc of how to wire it if anyone is interested.

I did something similar to Ray, used 5 core trailer wire to install 2 switches in the cab. One as a kill switch cutting power to the solenoids and another as the forward and resverse. So I neve even used my hand control or plugged it in. I used the directions that were on another site and still have the pics on my pc of how to wire it if anyone is interested.

Please do. Start up a new thread on it.

I have my Tigerz11 control box in the engine bay, has been there since day dot, problem is its not a problem of water getting in, its getting it out. Personally I think you have fat chance of stopping the water from entering.

Im looking at relocating my control box into the engine bay - will use welding cable for the heavy duty runs. will look at remoting the interface plug to the front of the truck.

I have already fitted a isolater switch, as I have seen a 4wd that was foled in hals by some one running the winch cable over the roof of the truck then inserting a paper clip into the controller to activate the winch.

Cheers for all the ideas. We did look for a spot to mount the control box in the engine bay but nothing stood out with all the other crap in there, and with limited time andtheneed to use the supplied cables.

My tigerz11 came with an isolation switch so no one can activate the winch by the control box unless they have access to the engine bay.

Good news is that after a week of the car sitting in the rain in the driveway and theone mad dash to the indian curry shop in therain after i got back from the airport the control box is as dry as a nuns nasty. I can't see anywhere else that water can get into these new boxes (I've also run silicon over the joins even tho they have o rings, apparently).

See how it goes. Kudos to my wife for making it :-)

Sent from my GT-P7100 using Tapatalk 2

After rebuilding my winch an fitting new sealed solinoid i sprayed all the terminals an connections on the winch with the anti corrosion spray that is made for battery terminals .

So far it's worked perfectly even after the winch was repeated drowned while going through the 56 odd river crossing in haunted stream.