LSD front diff

BigGQWesty

Well I've been looking at pro and cons of it.. I personally like the idea over a locker.. And Nissan do make a mean LSD.. Mine still going strong in the rear at 480,000k's

So any thoughts?? Local wreckers have a gq in the yard ATM with rear LSD, I'm pretty sure it'll bolt straight in the front..

A bit if info from another thread I have been involved in on another forum, there are 3 rear diff centres available, the H260 (10"+) GU (Manual, but not necessarily all, long and complicated reasons) the H233b GU (Auto but not necessarily all) and GQ (9"+), with 2 sizes in the hemisphere. The front diffs are H233b's. Now I'm not sure whether the front diffs have 2 different hemispheres or not. Have some pics somewhere will try to find them again.

The rear diff type is identified by the following Alpha Numeric details on the compliance plate HH = H260, HG = H233b (hemisphere size appears to be indistinguishable on the latter from the plate)

I'm currently looking at a Lokka http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/ for the front of mine, looks the goods and I know a couple of guy's who are running them in their GU's and they are quite happy.

I checked out many centres before and during my stay in the US, Eaton (Liked that one but $$$$$), Air lockers (had them in a previous 4x4), Detroit, but most are overkill unless you are in the extreme and even then I wonder.

Edited by geeyoutoo

Thanks for the insite geeyoutoo. But I'm not chasing info on lockers as for the same reasons you mentioned.. There overkill and very expensive..

I'm more looking at an LSD diff. So I have a bit of free wheeling for softer tracks but it won't spin uncontrollable up a hill..

So really in my eyes, the best of both worlds in regards to locked drivability and traction..

But the more I search and read the more I think in not coming to a cheap solution.. After discussing it with the father in-law I honestly don't think the navara or pathfinder diffs would be up to the job of pulling the gq tank especially when the dual batteries and winch are installed..

And I really can't afford the $900 there asking for second had centers to find out..

But you only want the LSD centre not the whole diff centre may workout cheaper may not too.

Lockrite were advertised for $400 DELIVERED not long ago. You just need to install then.

This the route I will go.

sent by me who is half pissed somewhere......playing with his phone

It is usually just a diff center, so basically the crown wheel and bearing have to be reused for the old diff.

This can pose several challenges especially for those who have no understanding how to tackle this task.

The Detroit True-tracâ„¢ centre can be had for around 500-600 USD but trouble is to find one for the Nissan Patrol.

I had a vague link for for H233 but description was missing letter B but when I digged deeper I found it was only referring to Detroit Locker and not True-tracâ„¢ unit.

I'm sorta over it now but still peewed off that I can't spend my money on what I want. So I installed Lokka unit and can't really complain apart from heavier steering and rather excessive(in my mind perhaps) pull/torque steer to the center. Of course have to be a little easy on the throttle in very slippery condition or in sand as it wants to go straight instead of turning sorta understeer under power but back off a little and voila its pointing in the right direction.

Mind you fitment ain't easy I'd say Lokka instructions trivialize the job a bit.

Cheers

But you only want the LSD centre not the whole diff centre may workout cheaper may not too.

Lockrite were advertised for $400 DELIVERED not long ago. You just need to install then.

This the route I will go.

sent by me who is half pissed somewhere......playing with his phone

I have just had a quote for $380 for a Lokka, so there's not a lot of difference, personally one of these would be my choice and they are not that expensive. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Looking at the price from 4WD Systems they did come down in price (I forked out $495 two years ago) installation is labour intensive, you need to strip down both sides front hubs, pull the drive shafts out, drop front prop shaft, sway bar and tie rod......all sorts of brackets Nissan puts in the way to piss you off.v It is easier to do on the hoist.

So having it installed will probably cost you more than the unit itself and you probably end up with dodgy installation see bellow...

Than there is the diff centre, it is f-in heavy to man handle while you lying underneath and not much room to move so extra pair of hands are welcome.

On the bench the fun part starts: crown wheel needs to come off in order to take the diff center halves apart, than trying to figure what are those bw instructions actually talking about, and than if you can't get the measurements right the shims have to be machined..... rare but it can happen.

Once you assemble the center than crown goes back on and if you don't have access to a press you will have really hard times to tighten the bolts back up (or did I mention to undo them use air impact wrench)

Next part is even more fun as if you are following their instruction you can't get the bearing caps back in the same spot and of you force it than you will cause damage to the threads. If you are not familiar how to set backlash and bearing preloads than you are in another pickle.

Once it i is all assembled you can fit it back.

Combine this job with your hub bearings/seals service, you can try/avoid axle seals damage (more stuff to replace), don't forget a new gasket for the diff, new oil etc.

If you've got auto hubs fitted you need to make them manual only and/or fit manual units

Did I miss anything?

Its a big job particularly when the things don't go according to a plan which they usually never do.

Another thing, I dealt with 4WD Systems only twice and will never ever do again. Their customer service is .... what service?!

Knowing what I know now the E-locker from States looks more attractive.

Cheers

Edited by Rumcajs

I fitted a LockRight to my front diff.

It was a labour intensive job, but with careful marking of the position of the bearings in the carriers, it all went back together with ease.

I converted the auto hubs to manual as well.

I've just returned from a Simpson crossing, and the locked front was not a problem at all in the sandy stuff. It does pull a little to the side when the track conditions cause tramlining, but I never wished I didn't have the unit fitted.

Are lokkas expensive to get someone to install? Buggered if I'm pulling a diff apart ... I don't have the equipment.

Good idea ref: LSD I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you get one setup.

You would be looking at about 4 - 5 hours of labour if you just drop the truck off, That's what I'm going to do, I'm too old to be playing with diffs now.