In car USB charging DIY

OK, So im sick of having cigerette plug double adapters, cables going everywhere, phones falling out of the overhead thing and - not being able to charge my Samsung tablet while its running unless its plugged into a 240 inverter socket.

The problem comes from the fact that a normal USB socket can only supply 500ma. if you are lucky and can join 2 together (or have a high power USB port) you can get 1A. Tablets need around 2 A to charge and run at the same time.

I had a 1A usb plug which was fine for my phone, but not the tablet.. Increasing the charge supply might also speed up the charge time for phones, cameras etc.

These just arrived on my desk from the states, my plan is to remove them from their cases and mount them in small jaycar boxes, and then around the car, just running 12V to each.

They have 2 ports - one is 1A the other is 2.1A

post-101-0-71506800-1337124567_thumb.jpg

post-101-0-18935800-1337124579_thumb.jpg

post-101-0-39023600-1337124590_thumb.jpg

post-101-0-09850200-1337124601_thumb.jpg

More pics to follow as i install them into the car.

Crazy.. to get these imported from the states they were about $5-$6 ea - Jaycar selling for $19 ea

I bought 5.

Yeah, I think you can find similar on ebay cheaper.

The jaycar units are very small thou - Neat.

Found some little boxes in jaycar.. Was the smallest i could find so ill have to use them.. Prob good to keep some air around the circuit board anyway..

Some will be hard wired with USB cables, but at least one will be under my EGT gauge covering a hole i butchered..

Stay tuned :)

post-101-0-64302100-1337141343_thumb.jpg

If that's what you're considering, why not consider what I did to make an extension point for my USB GPS antenna (it's a switch blank on the side of the console):

usb2.jpg

usb3.jpg

It allows me to connect to my tablet, without having cables strung all over the car. You can easily fit two USB ports to each switch blank.

Cheers

Ray

Edited by Ray!

The best place is the wreckers. Nissan sell them but want the usual arm and leg for small, not oft, requested parts. Normal switch blanks may also fit, as the factory ones are pushed in from underneath, but I have switches that click in from the top.

Cheers

Ray

In my GQ I filled several switch holes with switches I pulled from a commodore.

Exact same size.

I don't remember any blanks on the one I had, it was a more upmarket version with a lot of extras but maybe the poverty packs have some blanks in theri dashes?

Geeyoutoo had a USB port on his dash somewhere too.. my stereo surround fascia is getting pretty butchered so I'll chuck one there, one up in my overhead console and I'm thinking about putting one in each rear door for the kids..

I'll give it a crack on the weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Hi all,

ive converted my airbag dummy cover to a second glove box and run 4 cig plugs

these are powerd 24/7 from aux battery and i run gps, i pod ,i pod transmitter & laptop charger

all behind the hinged lid neat and tidy

Alan

Hi all,

ive converted my airbag dummy cover to a second glove box and run 4 cig plugs

these are powerd 24/7 from aux battery and i run gps, i pod ,i pod transmitter & laptop charger

all behind the hinged lid neat and tidy

Alan

Post up some pics of your setup if you have them, it sounds pretty cool.